CV vs Resume: The Difference and When to use which?
It is now pretty common that people look for more abroad jobs. There is a difference in job applications standards in different countries. The main difference can be seen in Britain and America. Britain uses curriculum vitae whereas American uses resume as a job application. Let us tell you the difference between the two and when to use which application.
What is a Curriculum Vitae (CV)?
A curriculum vitae (CV) is derived from a Latin word means a course of life. A CV is a document that contains in-depth details about your achievements rather than only a career biography. The Format of the CV is in chronological order. Curriculum vitae consists of two or more than two pages. A CV covers the accomplishments you have made along with the details of your education. For example awards, honors, and publications.
What to Include on CV?
- Contact Details like [Mobile No. Email Id and SkypeID]
- Career Objective / Profile Summary / Job Summary
- Education Qualification
- Project Details
- Book Publications
- Awards and Rewards
- Certification [Details]
- Conferences / Meetings
- Research & Development [Details explantion]
- Co-curricular Activities
- Language known
What is a Resume?
A resume is a summary of your work history, education, skills, credentials, and other accomplishments concisely. Typically, the document of a resume is no longer than one page. The job applicants can change his/her resume according to the requirements of the specific post. The format of resume doesn’t bound to be chronological. A resume is a highly customized document and it doesn’t have to cover your whole career.
What to Include on Resume?
- Resume Title
- Your Contact Details
- Resume Objective or Career Objective
- Work Experience [last 3 companys]
- Education Qualification
- Skills [Soft Skills & Hard Skills]
- Projects [latest project]
- Certificates [If you have]
Difference between curriculum vitae and resume
As mentioned earlier, the major difference between a CV and resume is in their length, layout and the purpose of the document. A resume document is a brief summary of the experience and skills you have, whereas a CV is a chronological document that covers your whole career details. A resume does not exceed more than one or two pages, whereas a CV covers more than two pages long. A resume can be tailored according to the desired post whereas information in CV can only be changed in the cover letter.
When to use which?
Are you planning on writing a job application but still confused whether you should generate a CV or a resume? Well, we have some guide & tips to help you out in writing perfect job applications.
Firstly, look out the job position. The job position will indicate whether to use a CV or a resume for job application. A resume is an application document mostly used for jobs in the US and Canada. Whereas a CV is only used in the US and Canada when applying for an academic or research-oriented position.
A CV is used in all contexts in UK, New Zealand, and Ireland. In these countries, the resume is not used at all. CV is known as Lebenslauf in Germany. This is only the document the German job seekers need to get an interview call.
However, the terms CV and resume are used interchangeably in South Africa, India, and Australia. The term CV is used there when applying for public service positions. Whereas in the private sectors, the term resume is more used. For example, employers in India may ask you for a CV or a resume.
Best Free Resume Builder to Use:
If you are looking for generating your resume professionally and effortlessly then use an online professional resume builder. A website named setresume.com has an online professional resume builder in which they give you a wide number of resume templates and benefits of using single page editing, switching templates, cloud storage, and PDF download. Resume builder made easy to generate your resume effortlessly.
There are three easy steps to generate your resume on a resume builder
- Select a resume template
- Fill your skills, summary, personal, education and experience details.
- After customizing, download your resume in PDF.
- Resume & Curriculum Vitae (CV) has two different formats
- Resume: Most of the times resume has less details like one page. It gives a summary of a job applicant in a dynamic way. This format is mostly preferred by Canada and US employers.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV): Generally CV has multiple pages because it contains more detail. Widely used in Europe countries.
Generally itsdepends on the type of job you applying for, in some case the employer ask for more details on youjob application. At that pointyou can use a curriculum vitea(CV).
- 28 Job Interview Questions and Answers Sample
- Best 5 ways to Improve your Resume in Just 10 minutes
- 50 Best Skills to put on Your Resume [How to Write + Examples]
- 10+ Resume Summary Examples With Tips 2019
Build Your Free Resume Now