General Ledger Accountants are responsible for performing account closing activities and reconciliations within a company. The most important tasks and duties of a General Ledger Accountant include handling and maintaining general ledger accounts, planning and preparing journal entries or preparing and distributing account management reports on a regular basis.
General Ledger Accountants are also responsible for performing accounting analysis for account payables and receivables, for providing accounting information to customers or for helping other departments in accounting problems and issues. Among these activities, General Ledger Accountants have to perform foreign currency exchanges, to help the Auditor in organizing and conducting audits, to help with the tax preparation activities, to reconcile the general ledger accounts or to manage and maintain the company’s accounting files. Other duties of a General Ledger Accountant involve reviewing the company’s financial reports in order to identify variances, preparing cash flow statements for the organization, resolving balancing issues for the company, ensuring the company is in compliance with the standard accounting principles and procedures or performing accounting analyses.
A successful General Ledger Accountant Resume has to start with a dynamic objective statement where you have to present the type of the position you are seeking for. The next section you are required to list in your resume refers to your skills and abilities section. Here you can describe your excellent problem-solving skills.
Sample General Ledger Accountant Resume
379 Madison Street
Looking to obtain a rewarding and challenging position as a General Ledger Accountant in a well-reputed firm where I can utilize my excellent organizational skills and my ability to multi-task.
Skills and Qualifications
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills
- Excellent knowledge of policies and procedures used in the Accountancy industry
- Knowledgeable of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accounting practices.
- Ability to perform Invoicing and Treasury functions
- Ability to read and understand a wide variety of legal documents
- Expert in word processing, databases and spreadsheets
- Ability to review and verify the accuracy of data
- Proficiency in using a wide variety of computer programs: Word, Power Point, Access and Excel.
- Excellent time management skills
General Ledger Accountant, Aptina Imaging Corporation, Houston, TX, 2007-Present
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for performing account closing activities and reconciliations within the company.
- Handled and maintained general ledger accounts
- Planned and prepared journal entries
- Prepared and distributed account management reports on a regular basis
- Responsible for performing accounting analysis for account payables and receivables
- Provided accounting information to customers
- Helped other departments in accounting problems and issues
General Ledger Accountant, Harris Corporation, New York, NY, 2003-2007
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performed foreign currency exchanges
- Helped the Auditor in organizing and conducting audits
- Helped with the tax preparation activities
- Reconciled the general ledger accounts
- Managed and maintained the company’s accounting files
- Reviewed the company’s financial reports in order to identify variances
- Prepared cash flow statements for the organization
- Resolved balancing issues for the company
- Ensured the company is in compliance with the standard accounting principles and procedures.
- Performed accounting analyses
- Master’s Degree in Accountancy, University of Houston
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy, University of Houston
Achievements and Affiliations
Member of the American Accounting Association since 2007
Areas of Interest
References available upon request