Transition to the editing, recoding and also broadcasting is continuously progressing and this progress affects both radio operators and sound engineers. Computer applications have removed the need of electronic equipments which were used to perform functions of recording and editing.
Recording engineer is not just responsible to record audio data but he also performs editing as well as mixing of audio in such a way that it can make an audio sound as best as possible. In session of recording, he listens to audio from perspective of both technical and musical. He searches various methods for the adjustment of equipment, recording different levels and also the artist performance in a way that the resulted record sounds perfect as required.
Major tasks that a recording engineer needs to perform include following:
- Establish test and make the adjustment of recording sessions and performances occurred live.
- Inform about problems and all issues related to equipment and give assurance of required pairs which are made.
- Missing and editing voices, tape the effects of sound for the live sound performance and for prerecording of events by using sound mixing boards.
- Regulate the volume of level and quality of sound in recording sessions by using control consoles.
- Record music, speed and other sounds over recording media through recording equipments.
- Reproduce the recordings of sounds from the original recoding with sound editing equipment.
- Sense of balance
- Technical aptitude is also significant for being a good recorder engineer
- Good communication skill to handle clients
- Ethic skill in working condition
- Strong opinion towards his thinking and work
Normally, a recording sound engineer works indoor in a pleasant environment. Engineers who are responsible to broadcast news outside the studio may need to work outdoors in different kinds of weather and also in dangerous conditions. Technicians who are responsible for managing equipments may perform heavy lifting. Technicians who work in networks and larger stations normally work for 40 hours in a week under high pressure in order to achieve the broadcast deadlines and may need to work overtime.
- A recording engineer should earn education from high school in related courses including physics, mathematics and electronics.
- After earning high schools, best approach is to get training by getting enrollment in technical community college or alternatively you can choose university program in computer networking, electronics or broadcast.
- Continuing education to get knowledge of emerging technologies is a good choice for all recorder engineer technicians who want to get high position in job.
- Degree of engineering from college is required for those who want to become chief engineer in television station.
Tips for the job
In moving picture industry, people get job as recording engineer or editorial assistants. They work in this industry and earn more skills. Usually, employers hire technicians who are experienced depending on picture by picture skill. Moreover, determination and reputation are also vital to get job as a recorder engineer.