An engineer whose main role is to design new products or to improve the existing ones to increase their marketability is known as a Product Engineer. They have to work in all the three fields of sales, marketing, and also in engineering.
The job of these managers can be described as follows.
- They are required to design new engineering products.
- They have to improve the designs of existing products if need be.
- When they introduce any new product they have to train the personnel in using the product correctly.
- They have to schedule the introduction activity of the newly designed machine, and resolve any problems pertaining to the working of the machine.
- They work in close association with test and process engineers to increase the efficiency of the machine.
- He has to inform the management about the status of the product.
Some important duties of this role are as below.
- They have to provide the technical support and solutions to both the customers and the suppliers.
- He has to assist the Product Manager to organize product training.
- They have to prepare product updates.
- They have to work in association of the technical team on installation of the product.
- They have to assist during the product launch, seminars, or exhibitions.
- They should know the requirement of the customer to develop a suitable product for them.
- They have to assist suppliers and other technicians to set up quality standards, which can become a benchmark.
- They have to design many product designs.
- They must be prepared to resolve any trouble that crops up with the machine.
The important skills required for this job are as described below.
- They should have good knowledge about statistics and statistical tools.
- They should have good manufacturing skills.
- He must know about physical analysis skills.
- They must have the knowledge about CAD and program simulation.
- They must know about automated test tools and equipment.
- Should have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- They must have product management skills.
The working condition of the Product Engineer can be of the following types.
- They work in well-lit, clean, and temperature controlled areas.
- They generally work indoors.
- They have generally normal working hours.
- During product launch or just before, they may have to work long hours and might have to do overtime.
- They have to work in close association with factory workers during the production of the machine.
- They may have to travel for work.
The essential qualifications of this job are as described below.
- They should be either graduate or post graduate in engineering.
- Experience in product engineering is a must.
- Should be capable of understanding the various issues related to the machine like, testing, analysis of its failure, how to debug it etc.
- Should possess good understanding about semiconductors, circuit designing etc.
Tips for Jobs
To be successful in this job, some useful tips are as follows.
- They should be proactive and very energetic people.
- They should not only be able to design efficient machines, which increase the productivity, but also the business of the company.