Procurement engineer deals with the purchase of goods to carry out industry operations. These engineers have effective knowledge about available goods in market, their prices, quality, etc. They can negotiate properly and can work efficiently in the favor of industry. Such engineers have complete details of different suppliers in market and after interrogating all they make a purchase order.
- Usually procurement engineers are appointed by manufacturing units.
- Manufacturing unit need goods like material, machinery, different equipment, spare part, etc and these engineers take care of requirement of such goods.
- Utmost responsibility of such engineer is to select the apt supplier among different choices.
- They need to cross examine rates and quality of material.
- Quality is definitely important aspect but at any point of time procurement engineers cannot go ahead of budget.
- It is essential for them to inform supplier before signing sales agreement that they would need goods meeting ISO standards.
- Once procurement engineer receives order of work from supervisors they can start with investigation procedure of goods.
- Firstly they need to collect basic information about material or equipments.
- Afterwards they can check out its presence in market.
- They need to look for appropriate supplier and take quotes from all.
- Once they receive the best suitable quotation then they can finalize the order and start with issuing of order.
- It is essential for them to confirm the delivery date with supervisors.
- In case if industry needs credit from banks then these engineers need to prepare application letter for it.
- To receive the ordered consignment they first need to complete all documentation work.
- They must be aware of purchase guidelines before entering in to any kind of contract.
- Before making payments they should scrutinize all invoices and also look for safety standards.
- They should select proper mode of transportation of good keeping in mind the maintenance factor.
- Their next step would be to get clearance for goods and scrutinizing custom related documents.
- They need to maintain proper communication between their superiors and suppliers in order to convey every bit of details properly.
- Interpersonal and negotiation skill is essential.
- They need to have good communication skill with convincing power to crack the best deal.
- Being good with written communication can make it easy to draft applications.
- They must have efficient knowledge about goods available in market.
- They have to maintain contact with best traders to achieve maximum benefit out of trade.
- Candidate must be literate in computer.
- Having good planning skills can be favorable.
- They must be good with business and material management.
- Procurement engineer has to work around machinery and other goods so they need to take care of security related issues.
- Along with goods they need to take care of their own health.
- Bachelor degree in engineering.
- Experience procurement engineer are preferable.
- Good procurement knowledge is must.
- They must ability to work as team.
- Analytical skills.
- Communication skills.