The Pre-Sales Engineer (PSE) supports sales productivity and deal flow by securing the “technical close” in complex solutions. The PSE collaborates with sales, service, engineering, and technical support resources to ensure proposed deals include technical solutions that effectively address all the customer needs, and are in a proper way supported by the key customer technical decision-makers. Sales engineers (SEs) are the technical glue of a technical sale. Sometimes called ‘systems engineers,’ ‘pre-sales support,’ or ‘field consultants,’ SEs act as the sales team’s technical encyclopaedia at the time of the sale, representing the technical know how’s and how the product solves specific consumer problems. They perform technical demonstration for the product. They retain the demonstration script for the product. With adequate staffing of trained Sales Engineers, Product Management need not go on sales calls and customer demonstrations.
A pre-sales engineer provides technical guidance to pre-sales personnel who, assists a company’s account managers in pre-sales activities and reviews the current status of client technology processes. The engineer also plans and modifies product configurations to meet client requirements. Reporting the PSE reports on a dotted line to the sales manager or business line manager and to the Sales Engineer Director who are responsible for the sales team support. Pre Sales Engineers are the primary technical resource for the field sales force. They are responsible for actively driving and managing the technology evaluation stage of the sales process, working in conjunction with the sales team as the key technical advisor and product advocate for our products.
An effective pre-sales engineer usually has a knack for solving complex problems in addition to good communication and analytical skills. To complete the required tasks accurately, the engineer mostly uses mainframe computers and database user interface software, such as Microsoft SQL Server.
• Four year college degree from an accredited institution
• Minimum six years of sales or sales engineering experience in a business-to-business, large/strategic customer segment; or
• A record of achievement and technical solution expertise in a comparable sales role.
• Product certification, engineering credential, or equivalent technical credential.
• PC proficiency
Ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in software sales and good knowledge of technology. Comfortable in the ever changing atmosphere of a technical organization with a rapidly expanding customer base. Must possess strong presentation skills and be able to communicate professionally in written responses to RFP’s, Emails, and when submitting reports. Organized and should have presence of mind, able to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches. Must be prepared for extensive travel.
• Works deals assigned to the sales team support, setting priority effort based on maximizing total impact on productivity of the team and profit, or as guided by the sales manager.
• Proactively scopes the technical solution required to assesses customers’ met and unmet needs, address customer requirements and recommends solutions that maximize value for both the customer and the firm.
• Secures input from all necessary solution stakeholders within the customer firm. Adapts solutions, as necessary, to ensure appropriate support.
• Coordinates closely with internal sales, sales support, and service resources to align solution design with customers’ business requirements.
• Secures from customer technical staff commitments needed to ensure a deal’s “technical close.”
• Meets assigned targets for profitable sales growth in assigned product lines, market areas, channel, or teams supported.
• Provides coaching and professional development to team member sales associates in order to enhance their product knowledge, technical acumen, and technical sales skills.
• Opportunistically pursues additional business development opportunities within customer firms. Collaborates with sales to ensure these opportunities are effectively covered and advanced.
• Monitors customer support for technical solutions proposed throughout the sales process, and alerts the sales and account teams to potential risks of deal closure.
• Achieves assigned productivity and profitability quotas.
• Maintains deal through-put in early deal-sales process steps.
• Achieves product growth targets for the assigned geography, channel, sales team, or account base.
• Maintains high customer satisfaction ratings that meet company standards.
• Completes required training and development objectives within the assigned time frame.
• Reports to the Director of Sales Engineering.
• Reports on a dotted-line basis to the sales team manager for the team supported.
• Works closely and collaboratively with the sales and account teams supported.
• This position may be assigned to support a geography or one or more named account teams.
General office environment or home based depending on location.
Regularly travel to partner and customer offices – up to several times per week.
Occasional stand duties at exhibitions overseas.
Be fluent in the knowledge you poses.
Be proactive in completing the job at hand.
Don’t be hesitant to disapprove any applicant.
Love your job, be proud of what you are doing and believe in yourself.