Mechanical engineers conduct extensive research, design and develop machines, tools and various mechanical devices and components ranging from jet engines to something as small as a wrist watch, every piece of machinery has the touch of a mechanical engineer.
- Excellent mechanical engineering skills, as well as technical drawing to conceptualize structures, machines and equipment.
- You need to have good designing skills to constantly improve, re-design and invent equipment, with analytical ease.
- Inquisitive and a logical mind with sharp decision making skills to make connections between ideas problem serving arenas.
- Strong problem solving skills, identifying the complexity of the problem and originating at a solution.
- For designing machines and equipment As mechanical engineers you will have to be highly creative, inquisitive, analytical, and detail-oriented.
- Apply maths and statistics to real problems to produce meaningful answers to quantitative terms.
- To get your message across to inform, explain and direct and to co-ordinate work with that of others.
- Evaluation of mechanical and electromechanical systems and product and assembling new or modified mechanical components by applying principles of mechanics for designing, developing, installing, operating and maintaining the varied kind of machines is the ideal job duty of mechanical engineers.
- Researching, modifying and testing manufacturing of the developed product and analyzing the test results to meet specifications is the biggest technical aspect of this job.
- Conduct installation processes after a confirming testing of the finished product is a task performed by the mechanical engineers to maintain the product and company reputation in the market.
- After installations co-ordinating maintenance and repair services by training and guiding technicians is also included in the duty of a mechanical engineer.
- It’s vital for you to stay abreast of the professional and technical knowledge by constantly educating self by attending educational workshops and participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by discussing changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly
As mechanical engineers the setups may vary. You may work in office buildings, laboratories, or industrial plants. You may also have to travel and spend time outdoors at construction sites and production sites to monitor or direct operations or solve onsite problems.
A bachelor’s degree in engineering is required for almost all entry-level engineering jobs. To become a mechanical engineer an ideal candidate with a B.E / B.Tech or postgraduate degree (M.E) or at least a diploma in mechanical Engineering is most sought by employers.
After attaining the bachelor’s degree program you can go in for a post graduate degree.
Tips for the job
Manages cordial relationships with technicians for sales, service and support to attain hands-on information on the problem areas and to improvise on the information systems and technology contributing to a whole host of mechanical engineering advancements constantly on the move that are crucial to our everyday lives, making them easier, faster and more efficient for people in all walks of life.