The job of a library assistant is helping the librarian with either computer work or in arranging books properly in shelves. They may have to work in schools, colleges, public library, etc. This is a very apt job for those who love reading books.
The important jobs related to this career are as described below:
- They are required to enter data in the computer.
- They have to receive as well as issue books, if the librarian is busy.
- They have to keep the books that have been returned in a proper manner.
- They have to help the visitors in locating books, which are hard to find and also resolve problems related to computer operations.
- They also help the blind people in locating books that are kept for them.
- They have to draw banners and posters for the events that a library organizes.
- Some of them who possess a valid driving license are required to carry the books in mobile vans to an apartment or shopping center to help the public take a review of the stock.
Some of the important duties that they need to execute are as described below:
- He has to maintain records regarding the issue and reception of books.
- He has to maintain a data regarding the date of issue of books, and by when they have to return it.
- They have to check the books for any damage or whether they have been returned within the due date.
- He makes a list of books that have not been returned on time and follows up with the borrower.
- He has to arrange the books in shelves according to their proper codes.
- He has to help the members in locating any book or publication.
- He issues library cards to the new members.
- He has to keep the cards in a proper drawer.
- He has to repair books that have been damaged, by using tapes, gums, etc.
- He has to answer telephone calls if and when required.
The skills required for this post are as follows:
- They should know about the unambiguous labeling of books as per the industry code of conduct.
- They should be able to understand various media process and formats in which the information is stored.
- They must possess good communication skills.
- They must have organizational skills.
- They should be able to pay attention to details.
- They should be able to work as a team.
- They must possess good IT skills.
- They must know the health and safety regulations pertaining to the job.
The working conditions of the library assistants are as described below:
- They are mainly required to work in libraries, either government or private.
- They have to handle books, lift them, move them, and arrange them. So they have to perform some physical labor jobs.
- They generally have fixed working hours, and rarely have they to perform duties in weekends.
- They generally do not have to travel for work.
Tips for Jobs:
The candidates who want to take up this job should keep the following tips in mind:
- They should love to handle books.
- They should be highly organized.