Instrumentation engineers are responsible for testing and repairing electrical components that re required by an organization for operational activities. This is an important function in an organization primarily because it allows the company to run in a moderate way in the long run.
- Instrumentation engineers must know the operations of various machinery units in an organization.
- They are supposed to advise the company when it comes to following safety norms and have knowledge of shutting done if it is lacking in safety.
- Urgent maintenance and repair work of machinery under certain situations and circumstances.
- Ability to use instruments according to industry norms.
- Knowledge of designing instruments and techniques of engineering.
- The principles and practices related to instruments and technical equipments.
- Analyzing maps, reports, drawings and tests for preparing work reports.
The job duties of an instrumentation engineer are as follows:
- Should have a wide variety of knowledge about various applications of engineering.
- An instrumentation engineer should be able to handle the tasks properly and independently.
- Providing technical inputs to juniors such as designers and engineers.
- Plays a significant role while assigning and coordinating duties to other technical functions.
- Maintenance and modifications of machines and units that is present in the organization.
- An instrument engineer is responsible for carrying out trouble shooting jobs in an organization.
- Provides assistance during purchase of specific equipments.
- Establishing liaison with other department of engineers and along with the internal staff of an organization.
- Involved in operational management with respect to regular activities.
- Instrumentation engineers should also have the ability to write computer software.
- Instrumentation engineers should have knowledge of AUTO CAD.
- Knowledge of computer including Microsoft Office.
- Should be able to pertain to the standardized practices of instrumentation engineering.
- Application of computers in industrial practices.
- Should have the ability to work in various projects without much restriction.
- Safety training according to the rules of the state or country.
- Should have acumen for finding solutions.
- Strong knowledge of physics and mathematics are essential.
The work environment under which the instrumentation engineers work is a little harsh as the physical activities are quite strenuous. Moreover, the tools and equipments that they are handling usually require different types of body maneuvers. They should have the capacity of lifting heavy objects. Overtime duties may have to be preformed while repairing some emergency units in the office. The instrumentation engineers should have correct vision in order to focus on their job with accuracy.
- Instrumentation engineers must hold a Bachelor’s degree of engineering or engineering technology.
- Skills in mathematics are a primary requirement of those people serving in this capacity.
Tips for jobs
- The ability to think beyond the general is a good quality of instrumentation engineers.
- They should have the ability to communicate with a certain level of conviction.
- The idea of accuracy is also an assistive factor for the work done by instrumentation engineers.