Home health aides is the term used for the people who provide assistance and supporting services to the old, disabled and ill people. They work under the guidance of the nurse of any other professional in this field who guide them about the basic help they have to provide in activities like dressing, bathing etc. They even check for the medication of their clients under the supreme guidance of their professionals.
The job of a home health care is to provide best assistance services to their chronically ill and disabled client. They even provide assistance to old people who face problem in daily activities like bathing, dressing, eating, etc. The job is flexible. But it is highly reputed one as it is concerned with the care of old and the ill citizens.
The major skill requirements include:
- Should be strong both physically and mentally.
- Good communication skills so that he could understand the needs of the client easily.
- Willing to work harder.
- Should be patient and gentle.
- Should be well- organized.
- Should be strong enough to tackle emergency situations.
- Should be able to satisfy the client by his service.
Job Duties of a home health aide:
There are many important duties associated with this profession. Some of them are:
- Follow the rules and the guidelines given by the seniors.
- Should take care of the daily activities like bathing, grooming and dressing.
- Help their client in turning, walking or any other movement.
- Should feed them meals properly.
- Should take care of giving the medicines timely.
- Observe and record the client’s progress daily and inform their senior professionals about the client’s health condition.
- Help the client in communication with others.
- Train other family members for providing care to the client.
- Should assist the client with toileting.
- Maintain proper hygienic surroundings for the client.
- Provide services to the client all the time.
The surroundings of the client should be hygienic so the work conditions for home health aides are comfortable but at times they may be stressful because some of the clients are very humble and cooperative but few are very difficult to be handled. They annoy the home health aide with their activities. Working hours may also vary as it depends on the agency, some agency provides 24 hours service but few provide only day time services.
There are many institutions which provide educational programs and certification for health care aides. A degree is not at all a must for the person to become home health aide. Many agencies provide the training during their job period only. The job is very flexible and earnings are good. The home health aide must keep him updated with all the new rules and regulations of his agency. With successive experiences, the position in the job may turn to a higher management position.
Tips for a good job:
- Provide best assistance to the clients.
- Take care of their activities properly.
- Be regular and patient.
- Communicate with the client humbly.