Graphic Designer Job Description
Graphic designers create illusions and designs that compliment the product or subject’s functionality while being appealing. Graphic designing is needed everywhere in literally everything. Be it the company logos, product packaging, stationary printing, road signs, pictures or images and even posters, graphic designing is needed all around.
Graphic designers influence customers to buy products, create a better understanding, convey emotions and even scream out a social message. Great graphics can do wonders! The play of font, images, colours and texture is what graphic designers excel at.
Client’s may have various demands from graphic designers- Photographer’s want a good finish and added texture, model’s want clear skin and thinner bodies in their images, advertising companies want appealing posters and hoardings, companies want an appropriate logo, products need detailed packaging, gift shops need warm and pleasant greeting cards, in fact all businessmen could have the need to create convincing posters, pamphlets and banners. Visiting cards and stationary are needed by every working individual. Graphic designer’s often have their field of specialization because of the intense demands.
Copy paste must be avoided at any cost. An original style is admired and appreciated.
- Aesthetic sense:
Ability to create appealing graphics.
- Technical skills:
Various software are needed to make graphics. One must have a complete knowledge of them and skills to use them efficiently.
- Strong communicator:
Visual communication is as important as verbal and written. A graphic designer must be able to effectively communicate ideas.
Sometimes, they deal with ample of clients or tasks, this is when organizational skills are much needed.
- Create mock designs and a gist of the idea and concepts
- Present the concepts
- Make sure client approves the design, if not, re-design to his taste.
- Prepare project budget and schedule.
- Discover new technology and software for designing. Stay at par with technology.
- Work with various other people, like printers, developers, technicians, photographers, etc in order to complete the task.
- Create a finished copy keeping in mind the text style, size, colours, textures, mood, and other related aesthetic concepts.
- Purchase necessary equipments and maintain them.
This depends on the graphic designer, he may wish to freelance or work at the office. If he takes ample of assignments at the same time he may have to work over time to meet the deadlines, which could be stressful.
Freelancers usually work from their own space of comfort. For a few it could be their home, however most graphic designers work in studios.
There are ample of institutes that provide graphic designing courses. A certificate course from a reputed institute shall be decent. A graduate in graphic designing is the least expectations of the big firms.
A strong portfolio must be creative, original and covering a variety of assignments. The quantity is not as essential as the quality.
Tips for the Job
- Networking and maintaining good relations is very important
- Include various styles and approaches in the portfolio
- Maintain quality rather than quality
- Keep in pace with time and schedule
- Serve more than what is expected
- Stay original
- Show only your best work