A Field Service Engineer is responsible for providing installation, repairs, maintenance or technical sales of products and services at the customer’s doorstep. A field service engineer can work for variety of industries such as electronics, manufacturing, consumer, information technology, construction, etc. One important factor distinguishes field service engineers from other types of engineers, i.e., a field service engineer travels to customer’s locations to offer his services while others may not.
- Excellent technical knowledge of the products and services being offered by the organization.
- Excellent knowledge of various tools and equipments which are to be used for installation, repairs or maintenance.
- Strong and effective communication skills including fluency in English and local language of the region where the engineer is stationed.
- Must have very good time management and customer service skills.
- Must have excellent diagnostic, troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Should be able to take quick and practical decisions while at customer’s doorstep.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive light to medium heavy vehicles.
- Excellent physical health to endure frequent and long field trips.
- Checking the product quality and specifications before installation.
- Installation of a newly purchased product at the customer’s location.
- Repair and maintenance of the product at customer’s site.
- Periodic servicing of the product at customer’s location depending upon the service contract.
- Be in constant touch with customers through phone or other means of correspondence to inquire if he needs any additional services.
- Informing the customer on any equipment upgradation available and upgrading the same if the customer demands.
- Act as a middle point between the organization and the customer.
- Undertake customer feedback on the products and services in an appropriate format and communicate the same to the organization.
- Make customers aware about the additional products of the firm and sell them at their doorstep.
- Solve any queries the customer might have about the product or the firm.
- Maintain records of all the field trips made, products sold, and services offered in a proper documented form.
- Travel extensively within the city depending upon customer’s location.
- May have to travel to nearby cities or other domestic locations if need arises.
- Desk work will be limited as most of the time will be spent outdoors.
- Work involves being on feet for long period of times and traveling under any weather conditions in any mode of transport.
- B.E. or Graduate in the relevant engineering field. For example, field service engineer working for a car manufacturer must be a B.E. in automotives.
- Post graduate degree or diploma in engineering will be an add-on.
- Candidates who have previously worked as a field service engineer will be preferred.
Tips for Job
- Dress neatly and professionally as per company policies. A field service engineer is the face of the company in front of the customers and hence he should look prim and proper.
- Aim for superior customer service at all the time and calmly deal with errant customers.