The job of a fashion consultant is becoming more and more important as society becomes more fashion conscious with each passing day. The main job of a fashion consultant is to interact with celebrities, politicians, film actors, singers and people belonging to other walks of public life. His or her job is to help them to attire themselves in the best of dresses in line with changing fashion needs. Further, apart from taking care of the fashion requirement and suggesting changes as and when necessary, there are many fashion consultants who also perform the job of taking care of the hair styles of these celebrities and other such people. This is a high profile job and calls for being on the toes all the time.
Fashion Consultant Job Description
- Helping for a business and recreational wardrobe for celebrities and other clients.
- Have a look at the various fashion trends in terms of colors, designs and shapes.
- Many fashion consultants also work full time as personal consultants for a celebrity.
- Should be in touch with retail stores, fashion shows and other such external places to be in the know about the latest happenings in the world of fashion
- Should also have a good knowledge about the latest makeup gadgets and accessories apart from having a good knowledge of the latest in hair styles.
- They may also be required to work in department stores and other such outlets and help customers in their quest for the best in fashion apparels and accessories.
- He or she should have a keen sense of art and should be willing to think out of the box.
- Should also have a keen sense of color and should be able to come out with apparels and fashion accessories with different color combinations.
- He or she would do well to have some basic ideas about stitching and cutting of clothes and designing apparels of their own.
- Strong persuasive and communication skills are essentials.
- Should have the confidence and poise to handle high profile customers including celebrities from different fields.
- Excellent time management and man management skills are also expected of Fashion Consultants.
- Being in touch with clients of different kinds and help them to design or choose the best fashion apparels and accessories.
- Undertaking administrative jobs such as scheduling appointments and make reports and keep a tab on budgets and other such administrative functions.
- Regular meetings with potential clients including retail stores, celebrities, and other such prospective customers.
- Keeping abreast of information and updating themselves on a regular basis regarding latest changes in the fashion industry.
- Most of the fashion consultants are hired either by celebrities while some of them work as freelancers handling a number of such clients.
- They may also be required to work in retail outlets, department stores and other such places.
- May not have the luxury of fixed work hours and may have to work on holidays and weekends.
- Though an undergraduate degree is not required, it could be desirable.
- He or she should have a keen eye for fashion and looks.
- Should be open always to the latest happenings regarding styles and trends in the fashion industry.
- Excellent communication skills could help a lot.
- A diploma or certificate course on Fashion from a reputed institution could come in very handy.
Tips For Jobs
- A fashion consultant should network well with the fashion industry and also with prospective clients and job givers to further his or her career on a regular basis.