Director of operations or Operations Manager is among the most crucial positions in a company as it needs to stay in touch with the Board of Directors.
The Director of operations has responsibility for almost every activity- data entry, accounting, payroll, managing the Human Resource, planning and helping in programs and budgets and other miscellaneous tasks. The position can also make contributions to the development and application of company strategy, policies and practices.
- Improve the system of operations, processes and policies to support the organizations objective. More specifically, improve management reporting, information collection and management, business process and planning.
- Managing and improving the efficiency of the important Support Services like HR and finance, through improving each function as well as building good communication and co-ordination between support and core business functions.
- Taking an important role in long-term planning of the company, including a push towards operational excellence.
- Oversee the entire management of finance, planning, systems.
- Managing the agency budget in coordination with other important positions.
- Developing of budgets for individual programs.
- Invoicing of fund sources, including calculation of completed service.
- Managing the payroll process, including calculation of employee benefits and deductions.
- Disbursement of checks for company expenditure.
- Organizing financial documents with help from relevant departments.
- Regular meetings with concerned officials for fiscal planning.
- Planning and contributing to the process for the organization’s annual budget along with others.
- Allotting and managing the annual budget.
- Overseeing the short term assessments and forecasting the company’s financial performance against the preset goals.
- Overseeing the short and long-term financial and management reporting.
- Understanding social justice and the mission
- Considerable experience in Financial Management
- Strong background and work experience in management
- Budgeting and oversight experience
- A clear commitment to high professional ethical standards.
- Knowledge of tax and other compulsory compliances.
- Good skills of operating in a fast , community environment
- For today’s business world good computer skills particularly in Microsoft office.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- experience in bookkeeping or accounting will be an advantage
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Good interpersonal skills and a coordinating management style.
- Overlooking the day to day processing of accounts.
- Keeping track of monthly activity, preparing year-end reports, and taking care of tax related matters.
- Managing grants or contract negotiations and reimbursement requests.
- Maintaining different archival and administrative files.
- Overlooking that the Accounting sections requests are dealt with and communicated in time with all concerned parties.
Tips for the job
- Excellent at managing people, open to suggestions and a team work style and drive to complete the job.
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to judge situations from different perspectives
- Keen eye for details and facts
- Distributing responsibilities effectively
- Comfortable working in a diverse environment.
Since it is very responsible one, thus only selected professionals are able to reach this position of Director of Operations in their organization.