A Consultant is an expert in a specific field such as finance, technology, medicine, business, restructuring, etc. A consultant has a deep knowledge base in his field derived from years of experience and education. Such knowledge is useful to organizations and individuals who are looking for an expert advice on a subject matter. A consultant can be internal or external. In case of internal consultants, the firm has an in house expert to advise them on important matters. External consultants work for specialized consultancy agencies who undertake short to long term projects for their clients.
- Must have excellent communication skills and inter-personal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English language, written as well as spoken.
- Should have knowledge of at least one or two local and foreign languages.
- Must have a pleasing personality and ability to engage people in a conversation.
- Must have an analytical thought process.
- Problem solving and decision making skills.
- Good presentation making skills. Should be able to deliver a speech in front of a large group without any reservations.
- Physical and mental agility so as to meet demanding nature of the job.
- Leadership and people management skills.
- Knowledge of different cultures and nationalities.
- Good time management skills and ability to meet short deadlines.
- Good knowledge of computers, MS Office and various systems & databases.
- Get a detailed understanding of the project or the problems faced by the client.
- Collect, arrange and analyze the data required for the project. Analysis of data to be done with statistical and modeling tools.
- Use subject expertise to arrive at the best possible method to execute the project or solve the problem.
- Make best use of available resources to arrive at a solution.
- Draft the suggestions to be presented to the client in a proper documented form.
- Make presentation to the client on possible solutions.
- Help client execute the project.
- Take feedback from client at every stage of the project.
- Manage various risks related to the project effectively.
- Maintain relationships with client on an ongoing basis.
- Keep track of news and events related to one’s field of expertise.
- Learn new courses or participate in forums or seminars which may help further enhance one’s knowledge of the subject.
- Lead, motivate and train a team of juniors.
- Desk work from office premises.
- Travel within and outside the city depending upon location & nature of project.
- International travel may be required, if need arises.
- Work involves lot of travelling based on client request and project.
- May have to work long hours to meet deadlines.
- Graduate degree in any field from a well-known institute.
- Post graduate degree or diploma from Tier 1 institutes.
- Must be an expert in a specific subject.
- Excellent academic record throughout.
- Ph.D. or Doctorate candidates will be preferred.
- Previous experience in a consulting role is preferred.
- Candidates with global experience will be preferred.
Tips for Job
- Dress appropriately at all the time.
- Speak with confidence and conviction.
- Understand client’s requirements fully and accordingly consult.