The casting director is the person who takes auditions and selects the appropriate and proper actors for the movies, serials or dramas. He or she should have a complete knowledge about all the actors and should check whether the talents of the actors meet the desired role. He also acts as the connection between the director, producer, actor and the different agents who supply the actors.
- It is believed that the casting directors act as the human resource department for the production houses. They select the most appropriate actors for the role and they only negotiate with them about the finances.
- The casting directors should always have the up to date and complete knowledge regarding all the actors.
- It is the casting director who makes the final decision on whom to hire.
To know about the proper job of the casting director it is important to describe their job duties that will make all the points clear.
In this article we are mentioning about the basic and the most important duties of the casting director among many.
- The casting directors must always read the script and then they should work together with the director, producer and also with the writer and should note down the proper requirements for the role.
- With all these notes the casting director should get in touch with different casting agents from whom they will get the number of actors among whom they have to select the desirable one with the help of the audition. They can also directly contact some actors whom they think will fit in the role.
- They should negotiate with the actors regarding the finances and before that they should meet the accountant of the production regarding the production budget.
- It is the duty of the casting directors to conduct the audition on a stipulated date.
It is not that easy to become a casting director. There are certain skills that are very essential. We should know about those skills in detail.
- The most important skill of the casting director is to have a very good communication skill.
- It is very important to recognize the proper talent. The casting director should have the skill to recognize the talented actors.
- A casting director should be very organized so that all the necessary things are at its place whenever it is required during the audition.
- It is very important that a casting director should have a precise knowledge about the films and actors.
The work environment of the casting directors vary greatly from one production house to another. It is very important that a casting director should have a friendly relation with the producer and also with the directors. It is essential for a casting director to be little strict for the company’s benefit.
- The casting directors should have an eye for the talented actors.
- Any particular educational background is not required for this job but, it is preferable if one has some prior experience to this field even as a trainee.
Tips for jobs
If you can follow these tips then, it might help you to attain success in your job as a casting director.
- One should never hurry while selecting an actor. You should take proper time and research carefully.
- Always keep in mind about the profit and benefit of your production house.
- Be a little strict but friendly too.
If you can follow these details then you can easily excel as a casting director.